Subject: Re: Map kernel as sections
To: None <vii@users.sourceforge.net>
From: Robert Swindells <swindellsr@genrad.com>
List: port-arm
Date: 06/04/2001 15:22:03
>> Why not describe the VM layout that you are implementing along with
>> the physical memory map.

>My trouble is that I rewrote rpc_machdep.c :-)

I would expect you to create your own xxx_machdep.c, you are using
different hardware.

Most of the changes should be in the l1_sec_table. You can also simplify
things if you can live without real console support until you jump into
main().

>My version is about half the size, and it appears that the reason for
>that is my ommission to undertake certain necessary things.

I would start from a clean copy and reapply your changes.

>> I'm sure we can suggest some things to try.

>Currently my big problem is not understanding the kernel_ptpt
>business. It is a sort of array of the addresses to pagetables (?)
>that sometimes is treated as a pagetable (?).

>Then pmap_pte does not return the pte at all but the pagetable (or am
>I barking up the wrong tree?)

You shouldn't need to change anything around that area.

One thing to bear in mind is that the other arm32 ports rely on the
MMU being set up before jumping into the kernel, ARM Linux expects the
MMU to be off. You may find life easier if you modify arlo to set up
a simple pagetable when it loads a NetBSD kernel.

Robert Swindells