Subject: Re: Things to work on
To: None <Richard.Earnshaw@arm.com>
From: David Brownlee <abs@netbsd.org>
List: port-arm
Date: 05/24/2001 11:57:03
On Thu, 24 May 2001, Richard Earnshaw wrote:

> > Make it SMP safe (hard to test, but we should be in case someone ever does an
> > SMP based arm box)
>
> Somewhat pointless at this time, particularly if it will impact
> performance.  Until the models for cache coherency on SMP ARM systems are
> defined it isn't really sensible to consider this (IMO).

	We may be able to obtain a bunch of hydra boards, complete with
	schematics and details of the  changes to make them work with
	StrongARM CPUs. On a 16Mhz memory bus a fully loaded hydra is..
	uh, a decidedly mismatched beast, but for two or three CPUs it
	should give a boost.

	Do we have anywhere a brief document that gives an overview
	of what a NetBSD pmap should provide, how it should be structured
	to best handle various cache and MMU models, and specific areas
	to watch out for? (As opposed to the current method for various
	ports which is 'look at the latest i386 or alpha pmap' :)

--
		David/absolute		-- www.netbsd.org: No hype required --