Subject: Re: A name for the NetBSD port to the Psion Series 5 mx
To: David Brownlee <abs@netbsd.org>
From: John Fremlin <chief@bandits.org>
List: port-arm
Date: 05/01/2001 15:13:13
David Brownlee <abs@netbsd.org> writes:

[...]

> 	The original convention seemed to be pretty much 'if they can
> 	share a GENERIC kernel, they share the same sys/arch dir'.

[...]

> 	Would it be reasonable to make a GENERIC kernel to run on
> 	psion5 + geofox + 5mx + psion7, or are they too dissimilar.

Hmm. They do have the same instruction set and you could tell them
apart so I suppose it would be possible but as no hardware components
(well the 5mx has the same serial port as the 7) are shared it would
be pretty pointless.

> 	(Obviously it would make sense to also have customised kernels
> 	for each)
>
> 	If a common GENERIC would not make sense, where would be the best
> 	split?  psion5 + geofox, 5mx, hpcarm + psion7?

I don't know where the Psion7/netBook falls. I'm only going for a 5mx
port. (This port might also work on the 5mxPro and possibly the Revo,
I'm not sure. The Linux people have started calling their port psion
windemere which encompasses these three similar machines.)

[...]

--

	http://www.penguinpowered.com/~vii