Subject: Re: kernels on RISCserver 2000
To: None <bob@cci.net>
From: Izumi Tsutsui <tsutsui@ceres.dti.ne.jp>
List: port-arc
Date: 06/14/2003 11:38:45
In article <001f01c33201$a6609750$730a0a0a@SPEEDAEMON>
bob@cci.net wrote:

> I have a quick question.  I just tried out this image
> today on a RISCserver 2200 (R96) and I don't get any
> video. I thought as of mid jan 2003 video worked
> on R96.  Is that statement false or is this particular image
> only build for COM1 output or do I now need to
> pass some flags on the command line to get video or ???

Hmm, I've tried the image again on my J96A and it works fine
with VGA console. How do you boot the image from ARC BIOS?

Do you see a message like
"jazz: display controller [%s] is not configured"
on serial console before the first NetBSD copyright?
If so, we should check vga console detection code for R96.
I checked arcdiag output of R96 from
http://mail-index.netbsd.org/port-arc/2001/02/08/0009.html
and I think it uses "necvdfrb" which is the same one with J96A.

If there is no message before copyright, serial console is
forcibly specified by some reason (OSLOADOPTIONS etc).
(see sys/arch/arc/arc/c_jazz_eisa.c:c_jazz_eisa_cons_init())
---
Izumi Tsutsui
tsutsui@ceres.dti.ne.jp