Subject: Re: Acer PICA memory type
To: None <crupnik@videotron.ca>
From: M. Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
List: port-arc
Date: 06/19/2002 20:39:47
In message: <006d01c20bd9$af1f5470$0a01a8c0@PLANETEORANGE.CA>
            "Chris Rupnik" <crupnik@videotron.ca> writes:
:  I have attempted to put the 1X36 (4MB) simms in combinations of 2 and 4
: that were in my MIPS magnum PC-50 into the PICA, but all I get is a memory
: error upon POST
:  The pica page listed here http://assist.acer.com/public/articles/566.htm
: only says
: "MEMORY       :16MB SIMM UPGRADEABLE TO 128MB"
:
: What should I be using instead?

Are you sure they are 1x36 and not 1x32?  I've had problems with
non-parity memory in my Deskstation rPC44, dating from the same
period.  I've also had problems with the new "three chip" designs,
where the "nine chip" designs work w/o a hassle.  I've also had better
luck with 16MB simms than with 4MB ones.  Of course, it doesn't hurt
to have 64MB of RAM in these beasts (but the RAM is so slow that the
benefits of MIPS is wasted due to long waits for memory).

Warner