Subject: Re: Guess what! Deskstation Tyne! WooHoo!
To: None <zlowry@directvinternet.com>
From: M. Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
List: port-arc
Date: 02/25/2002 19:14:04
In message: <003501c1be69$1aa26b60$0200a8c0@WORKGROUP>
            "Zach Lowry" <zlowry@directvinternet.com> writes:
: 	I've got a Tyne board sitting around here that I really want to get
: working. Unfortunately, that's somewhat difficult since no
: documentation exists, and I am completely unfamiliar with the
: architecture of this system. However, I'm rather stupid, so I
: continue to bang my head against the wall in trying.
:
: 	It seems that my Tyne may have a problem, perhaps in something that
: I'm doing. I've tried running several programs and operating systems,
: including, arcinst.exe, arcdiag, and the bsd.rd from OpenBSD 2.3.
: Arcinst.exe just sits there with a blinking cursor, and arcinst and
: bsd.rd give a "Invalid image location, cannot load image" error.

Hmmmm, 2.2 or 2.4 might work a little better for that machine.
However, I don't have a Tyne, so I don't know for sure.  I do know tha
tI ran up through 2.5 or 2.6 on my Deskstation rPC44.  I was even the
OpenBSD/arc maintainer for a while, but I'm not anymore due to issues
that I'd rather not discuss here.

: 	If I could get this to work, I'd be more than willing to try and fix
: Deskstation support in NetBSD, and perhaps Linux-MIPS. As of right
: now, though, I'm not getting very far. Anyone have any ideas on how
: to interpret those messages?

My Deskstation rPC44 almost work, but I'm having bootstrap problems
getting it going.  I can't make a good cdrom, and making a disk is a
big pita for my current setup.  Now that cross building appears to be
almost working, I'll have to see if it works well enough to build
something for testing.  And I'll have to see if I can get a good
removable disk system...

Warner