Subject: Re: Getting video to work on r2000 arc types NEC_R94
To: None <port-arc@netbsd.org>
From: Izumi Tsutsui <tsutsui@ceres.dti.ne.jp>
List: port-arc
Date: 09/15/2001 12:18:04

 :
> NOTICE the jazzio rasdisplay driver doesn't exit !

Maybe it means just "not implemented" or "should be done something here."

> Now to get video to work we need to know two thing's
> a.The chipset
> b.Physical address.

Can't we get these info from ARC BIOS?

> 3. Optional/Recommend get updated/corrected
>    elf2ecoff

Doesn't a kernel converted by "objcopy -O ecoff-littlemips"
(instead of elf2ecoff) work on R94?
It is a known problem that some ARC BIOS does not recognize
ecoff binaries generated by -current elf2ecoff.

(BTW, if you have fix for elf2ecoff, please send-pr it.)

> 4. Goto /sys/arch/arc/conf
>    Look at modify 'generic' to tastes... note
> two generic's exist use the one with 'arcsiop' in it!

BTW, what's the current status of NCR700 driver, Urata-san?

> 7. If the chipset is S3 add the 'S3' stuff to
> vgatable.h and make change to machdep.c.
>    If the video chip isn't S3 or cirrus make the
> 'generic' stuff change to machdep.c

I think it is better to move all vga initialization stuff
into MI place (like /sys/dev/ic/vga.c) and call it from *_cnattach()
functions. These code should be shared among other ports which do not
use VGA text on their firmwares (like bebox and prep).
---
Izumi Tsutsui
tsutsui@ceres.dti.ne.jp