Subject: Re: FW: NEC RiscStation and NetBSD
To: None <port-arc@netbsd.org>
From: Izumi Tsutsui <tsutsui@ceres.dti.ne.jp>
List: port-arc
Date: 09/14/2001 23:03:56
In article <013001c13c9e$663d3070$0a01a8c0@HOMEPC>
chrisr@beosppc.org wrote:

>  Can someone confirm with me that it is possible to boot an ARC
> bios/firmware machine from the _serial port_ without anything connected to
> the keyboard or video?

I think ARC BIOS is capable to use serial console by setting
CONSOLEIN and CONSOLEOUT variables, but keyboard and video are
needed to change console at the first time.

BTW, ARC BIOS has a serious BUG. If you make any typo on changing
CONSOLEIN/CONSOLEOUT variables, ARC BIOS just says
"inappropriate device" (or something) and hangs on the next boot.
There is _no_ fallback. You cannot correct variables any longer.
The only way to recover is to replace (or forcibly reset) NVRAMs
in the machine. (Usually NVRAM has a built-in battery.)

I spent a whole day to search NVRAM address
where MAC address was stored after recovery :-(

To use serial console, it is better to specify an "OSLOADOPTIONS=s"
variable at the "Run a program" prompt.
---
Izumi Tsutsui
tsutsui@ceres.dti.ne.jp