Subject: Re: netbsd/arc 1.5.1 beta2(with install) iso image ready for testing...
To: Ross Alexander <rossalexander@home.com>
From: bob meader <bob@cci.net>
List: port-arc
Date: 05/20/2001 11:41:06
Ross Alexander wrote:

> I'm having trouble with this, maybe someone can help me figure out what
> I'm doing wrong.
> I downloaded arc151.iso, burned it to a CDR on my FreeBSD system like
> so:

I'll do a sanity check tomorrow at the office to see I didn't have a bad image...The way I
made the iso.image is I first  burned the CD on a windows machne
then I used the option to save the CD image as an iso.image. Now the cdrom
I generated I can read just fine on both windows and my mips/arc but it
is possible the 'iso mage file' is defective...(I just noticed it is
about 6 megs larger than iso1.5).  Remember after all I did
use "windows" to make the image and as we all know reliabilty,stability
and repeatabily has never been a requirement for a  MS OS !

However you could  make your "own" iso image yourself ... here's what you need.

Copy to you CDburner machine (make sure it has the option to make ISO9660
CD's ... joliet format isn't readable by arc firware) the files
install,netbsd.eco and kern.tgz to the "top directory" you going to
burn the image from... These files you can from my site (
http://204.57.142.148/NEC/RISCServer.html ) select item#7
kernel directory 1.451.beta2.  If you want X11 (I have Xservers for
cirrus and s3 chip sets) select item#4 download that stuff as well..
Next goto ftp.netbsd.org and download all the binary 'sets' except
kern.tgz...ALL files goto the same directory...NOW burn that directory
to CD and you're done !

Notice the 'minimal' NetBSD CD would contain just
thes files: netbsd,eco kern.tgz install etc.tgz and base.tgz .
If you roll your own 'minimal NetBSD' CD image you only need to download about
25 megs instead of 80 megs.