Subject: Re: Installing Netbsd on RISCserver 2200
To: None <qiwen@glue.phys.washington.edu>
From: bob meader <bob@cci.net>
List: port-arc
Date: 01/31/2001 16:38:38

>         I am trying to get Netbsd install on my RISC server.
> Can some please tell me how to get it started.

Ok I have Netbsd running on RISC server 2200 here....
First you should be aware of a couple of hardware items
1. The console is serial as I was never able to hardware
details for NEC about the video hardware.
2.The SCSI controller is a ncr700 not yet supported..
The work around for the SCSI contoller is to plugin
in a ISA/EIASA ide card in to the bus and
runnning  a cable to one of the hard disk carriages
in the array.

Now to install NetBSD you will need to copy a
custom kernel (I have one ready for ftp download
off the above mentioned r2200) which must
copy to the SCSI hard drive or burn it to
CDROM... the format is standard FAT.

Next you will need to setup a NFS server
(see setting up diskless booting on NetBSD page)
or figure out how to make root filesystem on floppy.

Finally 'run' the image (netbsd.ecoff)... it will ask
you for root device enter sn0 (the ethernet card)
to boot of the NFS server...Once up and
running you can 'disklabel' the ide hard drive (wd0)
making two partions wd0a (root) and wd0b(swap).
You should then be able to make filesystem on
wd0a...
Good Luck !!

P.S. I should mention the custom kernel
is set to go automaticaly mount
root off /dev/wd0a IF the debug
flag option is set to multiuser in ARC firmware.

location for a kernel is
ftp://204.57.142.148/NetBSD-1.5
Hopefully the MIPS is still running...
I just made a 'new' kernel running