Subject: Re: NEC RiscServer 2200
To: None <kbloom@winternet.com>
From: Noriyuki Soda <soda@sra.co.jp>
List: port-arc
Date: 07/29/2000 04:34:11
I'm sorry for late response.

When Bob tried NetBSD/arc on his NEC RISCserver 2200, cerntainly
the NetBSD kernel didn't work with the RISCserver 2200.

But now, I'm not really certain. It seems I made a mistake to support
RISCserver 2200 at that time.

Bob, Ross, Gabriel, Nick, I'm sorry that I have not informed you
about the mistake. But still I'm not sure whether newer kernel works
with RISCserver 2200 or not. And if it still doesn't work, I don't
have enough free time to debug it by myself for now.

But...
Kurt, Bob, Ross, Gabriel, Nick, if you have free time, please test
the following kernel with serial console:
ftp://ftp.sra.co.jp/pub/os/NetBSD/misc/arc/netbsd.COMCONS.2000-06-20.ecoff.gz

Note that this kernel doesn't support the following devices:
	- internal video device
		this may be supported.
	- internal scsi device
		this is somewhat hard.
So, RISCstation 2200 requires diskless booting.

Please do not use the kernel on ftp.netbsd.org, the kernel at March 5
doesn't include the RISCserver 2200 support, although -current kernel
already includes experimetal support to RISCserver 2200.
--
soda