Subject: Re: NEC RiscServer 2200
To: Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
From: Kurt Bloom <kbloom@winternet.com>
List: port-arc
Date: 07/28/2000 12:25:41
On Fri, 28 Jul 2000, Warner Losh wrote:

> In message <Pine.GSO.4.05.10007281042330.28850-100000@tundra.winternet.com> Kurt Bloom writes:
> : ok. So I shortened the name of the ecoff to 8.3, copied to c:\, did run
> : program with arc path to file. Now I'm getting no errors from the bios but
> : the screen just freezes up blank the same blue color of the prompt screen.
>
> OK.  Generally this means that the video address isn't set right, so
> you may have some tweaking to do.  It can also mean that you've set
> things up such that you are booting from a serial console (the COMCONS
> kernel).

I tried both the COMCONS and PCCONS version of the ecoff.

> You might want to connect a terminal/terminal emulation
> program to the serial port and see what you get.  iirc, it is 9600, 8,
> N.

I don't know how to connect a terminal emulation program to a serial
port...the only terminal emulation I'm familiar with is telnet,
hyperterminal etc. Like
telneting from a windows machine to a unix box. Could you point me to any
good resources on the web? I guess I don't want to ask you how to do this
unless it's easier to explain than it sounds.

Also do you know if Bob Meader is right about this NEC RISCserver 2200 not
being able to run NetBSD? Am I going to have to basically develop this
from scratch? If so maybe I need to find some resources about
compiling/customizing kerenels etc for newbies. I'm interested in getting
this thing going, but am wondering if I'm in over my head and need to stop
and read a book or something. Any advice is greatly appreciated.