Subject: Re: Need help with NEC RISCserver 2200 port.
To: None <bob@guiduck.com>
From: Toru Nishimura <nisimura@itc.aist-nara.ac.jp>
List: port-arc
Date: 05/06/2000 14:30:29
> When I am attempt to do a boot through sonic driver
> it gets an IP address,mounts root, executes '/sbin/init'
> and stops... The kernel and network is still alive
> as I can 'ping it' . I know it has executed '/sbin/init'
> since I added two print statements around the
> call sys_execv that executes 'init'. (Specfically start_init(arg)
> in "kernel/init_main.c");  The call returns
> 'EJUSTRETURN' which according to source code
> of 'sys_execve' means a successful execution of binary.
>     [ ... ]
> I am a bit of loss as how to proceed any suggestions ?

Build a fake /sbin/init program would produce 'Hello world!' on stdout,
and check you can see the message.  If the program terminates, kernel will
say like 'init died.' or something.  The expected events would prove
user mode process can be created/executed/terminated correctly, or not.

BTW, NetBSD/arc is filled with old gadgets which should be removed and
straightened soon.

Tohru Nishimura