Removing SunOS/68k compatibility before 8.0

Hi,

I remember we already discussed this topic some time ago, because of the
limitation of the data segment to 224MB. As far as I understand SunOS does
not allow non-zero bits in the most significant four bits of a pointer, and
we could possibly expand the virtual address space for a process to
Gigabytes by using them.

1. Are there any important reasons for keeping SunOS compatibility?

2. Who knows what exactly has to change for extending the virtual address
space?

3. Can it be done for Amiga only or would all m68k ports be affected?

There are users who are willing to test such a modification (e.g. by
compiling pkgsrc, which currently fails because of low memory in some
areas).

Thanks in advance!

--
Frank Wille