Re: Can't build 5.1.2 kernel

Hello Frank,

On Fri, 9 Nov 2012, Frank Wille wrote:
On Thu, 8 Nov 2012 21:17:09 -0500 (EST)
Al <al%familysafeinternet.com@localhost> wrote:

I am still trying to upgrade to 5.1.2 or 6. I couldn't a 5.1.2 kernel
to build. This is the error I get:

#   compile  AGNUS/machdep.o
[...]
../../../../arch/amiga/amiga/machdep.c: In function 'consinit':
../../../../arch/amiga/amiga/machdep.c:237: error: 'Elf32_Ehdr'
undeclared (first use in this function)

I cannot reproduce that. Did you really use the 5.1.2 release source?
Did you copy the AGNUS config from your old source? Maybe there is
something missing now. You may want to provide this file for further
tests.

So far I am very frustrated with the upgrade. I can not use anonCVS successfully at home because I use a cable modem and even downloading a tar ball is slow and may take me several days before I can do it successfully. On the system that I have colocated I can not use anonCVS or untar more than one file at a time without it crashing. This has made progress very slow.

I was able to do an install of 5.1.2 at home by un-tarring the kernel, then rebooting, then cd / and tar -xzpf base.tgz only, then rebooting again, before untarring the other tar balls (except etc). I think that I can do this on the system that is co-located too.

The source I was using I downloaded with anonCVS, I then tarred and downloaded to my local system. Since then, I downloaded the tar balls for 5.1.2 source and I am trying to build a GENERIC kernel right now. I will let you know how that goes.

Here is my kernel config:
# $NetBSD: GENERIC,v 1.256 2008/09/24 17:27:49 tsutsui Exp $

include "arch/amiga/conf/std.amiga"
#options INCLUDE_CONFIG_FILE # embed config file in kernel binary
ident           "AGNUS-$Revision: 1.256 $"
maxusers        64
options         RTC_OFFSET=0

# mainboards to support (in addition to Amiga)
#options        BB060STUPIDROM  # You need this, if you have a non-DraCo
#options        P5PPC68KBOARD   # Phase5 PPC/68K board support

# processors this kernel should support

options         M68060          # support for 060
options M060SP # MC68060 software support (Required for 060)
#options        M68040          # support for 040
#options        FPSP            # MC68040 floating point support
#options        M68030          # support for 030
#options        M68020          # support for 020/851
#options        FPU_EMULATE     # FPU emulation

# Networking options
options         INET            # IP networking support (Required)
options         INET6           # IPV6
#options        IPSEC           # IP security
#options IPSEC_ESP # IP security (encryption part; define w/IPSEC)
#options        IPSEC_NAT_T     # IPsec NAT traversal (NAT-T)
#options        IPSEC_DEBUG     # debug for IP security
#options        GATEWAY         # Packet forwarding
#options        DIRECTED_BROADCAST      # Broadcast across subnets

#options        MROUTING        # Multicast routing
#options        PIM             # Protocol Independent Multicast
#options        ISO,TPIP        # OSI
#options        EON             # OSI tunneling over IP
#options        NETATALK        # AppleTalk networking protocols
#options TCP_DEBUG # Record last TCP_NDEBUG packets with SO_DEBUG

options         PPP_BSDCOMP     # BSD-Compress compression support for PPP
options         PPP_DEFLATE     # Deflate compression support for PPP
options PPP_FILTER # Active filter support for PPP (requires bpf)
options         PFIL_HOOKS      # pfil(9) packet filter hooks
options         IPFILTER_LOG    # ipmon(8) log support
options         IPFILTER_LOOKUP # ippool(8) support
#options        IPFILTER_DEFAULT_BLOCK  # block all packets by default

#options ALTQ # Manipulate network interfaces' output queues
#options        ALTQ_BLUE       # Stochastic Fair Blue
#options        ALTQ_CBQ        # Class-Based Queueing
#options        ALTQ_CDNR       # Diffserv Traffic Conditioner
#options        ALTQ_FIFOQ      # First-In First-Out Queue
#options        ALTQ_FLOWVALVE  # RED/flow-valve (red-penalty-box)
#options        ALTQ_HFSC       # Hierarchical Fair Service Curve
#options        ALTQ_LOCALQ     # Local queueing discipline
#options        ALTQ_PRIQ       # Priority Queueing
#options        ALTQ_RED        # Random Early Detection
#options        ALTQ_RIO        # RED with IN/OUT
#options        ALTQ_WFQ        # Weighted Fair Queueing

# Filesystems
file-system     FFS             # Berkeley fast file system
#file-system    EXT2FS          # second extended file system (linux)
#file-system    LFS             # log-structured filesystem (experimental)

file-system     MFS             # Memory based filesystem

file-system     NFS             # Network File System client side code
file-system     ADOSFS          # AmigaDOS file system
#file-system    CD9660          # ISO 9660 + Rock Ridge filesystem
#file-system    MSDOSFS         # MS-DOS filesystem

file-system     KERNFS          # kernel data-structure filesystem

file-system     FDESC           # user file descriptor filesystem
file-system     NULLFS          # loopback filesystem
file-system     OVERLAY         # overlay filesystem
#file-system    PORTAL          # Portal filesystem
file-system     PROCFS          # /proc filesystem
file-system     UMAPFS          # NULLFS + uid and gid remapping
#file-system    UNION           # union filesystem
#file-system SMBFS # experimental - CIFS; also needs nsmb (below)
#file-system    PTYFS           # /dev/pts/N support
#file-system    TMPFS           # Efficient memory file-system
#file-system UDF # experimental - OSTA UDF CD/DVD file-system

# Filesystem options

#options        FFS_EI          # FFS Endian Independant support
options WAPBL # File system journaling support - Experimental

#options        QUOTA           # User and group quotas in FFS
options         SOFTDEP         # FFS soft updates support.
#options UFS_DIRHASH # UFS Large Directory Hashing - Experimental
options         NFSSERVER       # Network File System server side code
#options        FFS_NO_SNAPSHOT # No FFS snapshot support

#options        EXT2FS_SYSTEM_FLAGS # makes ext2fs file flags (append and
                                # immutable) behave as system flags.

# Compatibility options for various existing systems
#options TCP_COMPAT_42 # 4.2BSD TCP/IP bug compat. Not recommended.
options         COMPAT_43       # compatibility with 4.3BSD interfaces
#options        COMPAT_09       # compatibility with NetBSD 0.9
#options        COMPAT_10       # compatibility with NetBSD 1.0
#options        COMPAT_12       # compatibility with NetBSD 1.2
#options        COMPAT_13       # compatibility with NetBSD 1.3
#options        COMPAT_14       # compatibility with NetBSD 1.4
#options        COMPAT_15       # compatibility with NetBSD 1.5
#options        COMPAT_16       # compatibility with NetBSD 1.6
#options        COMPAT_20       # compatibility with NetBSD 2.0
options         COMPAT_30       # NetBSD 3.0 compatibility.
options         COMPAT_40       # NetBSD 4.0 compatibility.
#options        COMPAT_SUNOS    # Support to run Sun (m68k) executables
#options        COMPAT_SVR4     # Support to run SVR4 (m68k) executables
options         COMPAT_NOMID    # allow nonvalid machine id executables
#options        COMPAT_LINUX    # Support to run Linux/m68k executables

options         EXEC_AOUT       # 32-bit aout executables (NetBSD-1.5.x)
options         COMPAT_AOUT_M68K # actually make some system calls work.
options         COMPAT_BSDPTY   # /dev/[pt]ty?? ptys.

# Support for System V IPC facilities.
options         SYSVSHM         # System V-like shared memory
options         SYSVMSG         # System V-like messages
options         SYSVSEM         # System V-like semaphores
options         P1003_1B_SEMAPHORE # p1003.1b semaphore support

# Support for various kernel options
options         KTRACE          # system call tracing support
#options        LKM             # Loadable kernel modules
#options        INSECURE        # disable kernel security levels
options         SCSIVERBOSE     # human readable SCSI error messages
options         USERCONF        # userconf(4) support
options         NTP             # NTP phase/frequency locked loop
#options        PIPE_SOCKETPAIR # smaller, but slower pipe(2)

# Misc. debugging options
#options        DDB             # Kernel debugger
#options        DDB_HISTORY_SIZE=100    # Enable history editing in DDB
#options        DIAGNOSTIC      # Extra kernel sanity checks
#options        DEBUG           # Enable misc. kernel debugging code
#options        SYSCALL_DEBUG   # debug all syscalls.
#options        SCSIDEBUG       # Add SCSI debugging statements
#options        PANICBUTTON     # Forced crash via keypress (?)

# Amiga specific options
#options        LIMITMEM=24     # Do not use more than LIMITMEM MB of the
                                # first bank of RAM. (default: unlimited)
#options        NKPTADD=4       # set this for 4 additional KPT pages
#options        NKPTADDSHIFT=24 # set this for 1 additional KPT page
                                # per 16 MB (1<<24 bytes) of RAM
# uncomment and decrease this, or uncomment and # increase NKPTADD if you get "out of PT pages"
                                # panics.

# ATTENTION: There is NO WARRANTY AT ALL that the sync will be complete
# before the 10 secondinterval ends, or that KBDRESET does work at all.
#options        KBDRESET        # sync on Ctrl-Amiga-Amiga

# These options improve performance with the built-in serial port
# on slower Amigas.  Try the larger buffers first then lev6_defer.
#options        SERIBUF_SIZE=4096
#options        SEROBUF_SIZE=32
#options        LEV6_DEFER      # defers l6 to l4 (below serial l5)

#options        DEVRELOAD       # implement /dev/reload
#                               # currently only works for a.out kernels

options         GRF_ECS         # Enhanced Chip Set
options         GRF_NTSC        # NTSC
#options        GRF_PAL         # PAL
#options        GRF_A2024       # Support for the A2024
#options        KFONT_8X11      # 8x11 font

# select a font for the console according to the character set and keymap
# you want to use
options        KFONT_CONS_ISO8859_1
#options         KFONT_CONS_ISO8859_2

# This is how you would tell the kernel the A2410 oscillator frequencies:
# The used frequencies are the defaults, and do not need option setting
#options        ULOWELL_OSC1=36000000
#options        ULOWELL_OSC2=66667000

# This is how you specify the blitting speed, higher values may speed up blits
# a littel bit.  If you raise this value too much some trash may appear.
# the commented version is the default.
#options        RH_MEMCLK=61000000
# this option enables the 64 bit sprite which does not work
# for quite a few people.  E.g. The cursor sprite will turn to a block
# when moved to the top of the screen in X.
#options        RH_64BIT_SPRITE
# enables fast scroll code appears to now work on 040 systems.
#options        RETINA_SPEED_HACK
# enables the Hardwarecursor which does not work on some systems.
#options        RH_HARDWARECURSOR

# wscons aware interface to amiga custom chips.
# If you enable it enable also wskbd.

#amidisplaycc0  at mainbus0             # wscons interface to custom chips
#wsdisplay0     at amidisplaycc0 console ?
#options        WSEMUL_VT100
#options        FONT_VT220L8x10
#options        FONT_VT220ISO8x16

grfcc0          at mainbus0             # custom chips
grf0            at grfcc0
ite0            at grf0                 # terminal emulators for grfs

iobl*           at zbus?                # zbus IOBlix
com*            at iobl? port ?         # IOBlix serial ports
lpt*            at iobl? port ?         # IOBlix parallel ports

# Keyboard device. Optionally can attach a wskbd.
# wskbd works together with a wsdisplay so enable them both if you will.
# Don't enable wskbd if you use ite.
#
# XXX in std.amiga: kbd0 at mainbus0

#wskbd0         at kbd0 console ?

# Amiga Mainboard devices (sans graphics and keyboard)

ser0            at mainbus0             # Amiga onboard serial
par0            at mainbus0             # Amiga onboard parallel
ms*             at mainbus0             # Amiga mice
fdc0            at mainbus0             # Amiga FDC
fd*             at fdc0 unit ?          # floppy disks on the later
a34kbbc0        at mainbus0             # A3000/A4000 battery backed clock
a2kbbc0         at mainbus0             # A2000 battery backed clock
aucc*           at mainbus0             # Amiga CC audio
audio*          at aucc?

#wsmouse*       at ms?

# Ethernet cards:
ne*             at zbus0                # AriadneII, X-surf

# scsi stuff
bztzsc0         at zbus0                # Blizzard 2060 scsi
scsibus*        at bztzsc0

# each hard drive from low target to high
# will configure to the next available sd unit number
sd*     at scsibus? target ? lun ?      # scsi disks
st*     at scsibus? target ? lun ?      # scsi tapes
cd*     at scsibus? target ? lun ?      # scsi cds
ch*     at scsibus? target ? lun ?      # scsi autochangers
ss*     at scsibus? target ? lun ?      # scsi scanner
uk*     at scsibus? target ? lun ?      # scsi unknown

# accept filters
#pseudo-device  accf_data               # "dataready" accept filter
#pseudo-device  accf_http               # "httpready" accept filter

pseudo-device   loop                    # loopback network interface
#pseudo-device  sl                      # SLIP network interfaces
pseudo-device   ppp                     # PPP network interfaces
pseudo-device   pppoe                   # PPP over Ethernet (RFC 2516)
pseudo-device   tun                     # network tunnel line discipline
pseudo-device   tap                     # virtual Ethernet
#pseudo-device  gre                     # generic L3 over IP tunnel
pseudo-device   bpfilter                # Berkeley packet filter
#pseudo-device carp # Common Address Redundancy Protocol
pseudo-device   ipfilter                # IP Filter package
pseudo-device gif # IPv[46] over IPv[46] tunnel (RFC1933) #pseudo-device faith # IPv[46] tcp relay translation i/f pseudo-device stf # 6to4 IPv6 over IPv4 encapsulation
pseudo-device   vlan                    # IEEE 802.1q encapsulation
pseudo-device   bridge                  # simple inter-network bridging
#options BRIDGE_IPF # bridge uses IP/IPv6 pfil hooks too
pseudo-device   agr                     # IEEE 802.3ad link aggregation
#pseudo-device  pf                      # PF packet filter
#pseudo-device  pflog                   # PF log if
pseudo-device   fss             4       # file system snapshot device

pseudo-device   view            4       # views (needed for grfcc)
pseudo-device   pty                     # pseudo-terminals
pseudo-device   clockctl                # user control of clock subsystem

#pseudo-device wsfont # wsfont(4) dynamic font loading support
#pseudo-device  wsmux                   # mouse & keyboard multiplexor

pseudo-device   vnd                     # vnode pseudo-disks
#options        VND_COMPRESSION         # compressed vnd(4)
pseudo-device   ccd             4       # concatenated disk devices
#pseudo-device  cgd             4       # cryptographic disk devices
#pseudo-device  raid            8       # RAIDframe disk driver
#options RAID_AUTOCONFIG # auto-configuration of RAID components
# Options to enable various other RAIDframe RAID types.
# options       RF_INCLUDE_EVENODD=1
# options       RF_INCLUDE_RAID5_RS=1
# options       RF_INCLUDE_PARITYLOGGING=1
# options       RF_INCLUDE_CHAINDECLUSTER=1
# options       RF_INCLUDE_INTERDECLUSTER=1
# options       RF_INCLUDE_PARITY_DECLUSTERING=1
# options       RF_INCLUDE_PARITY_DECLUSTERING_DS=1

pseudo-device rnd # /dev/random and in-kernel generator #options RND_COM # use "com" randomness as well (BROKEN)

pseudo-device   ksyms                   # /dev/ksyms (kernel symbols)
#pseudo-device  nsmb                    # experimental - SMB requester

# Veriexec
#
# a pseudo device needed for veriexec
#pseudo-device  veriexec                1
#
# Uncomment the fingerprint methods below that are desired. Note that
# removing fingerprint methods will have almost no impact on the kernel
# code size.
#
#options VERIFIED_EXEC_FP_RMD160
#options VERIFIED_EXEC_FP_SHA256
#options VERIFIED_EXEC_FP_SHA384
#options VERIFIED_EXEC_FP_SHA512
#options VERIFIED_EXEC_FP_SHA1
#options VERIFIED_EXEC_FP_MD5

config  netbsd root on sd0a type ffs

I tried to remove support for any hardware that I don't have. I also tried to remove options that I don't use to improve performance. Still I may have something wrong, what should my kernel config look like?

Best Regards,
Al