Re: cross compiling on Amiga

Since we are speaking about kernel virtual memory...

On Jun 15, 2012, at 9:57 PM, David Laight wrote:

> There are issues on some systems with there not being enough kernel
> address space allocated for the physical memory tables (etc).
> I think a recent change move some kernel memory allocations between
> two different kernel VA regions - that could cause grief.

I'm often experiencing problems on Amiga caused by shortage of kernel virtual
space. Currently M68K_PTBASE [1] is set to 0x10000000, which limits kernel
virtual space to 256MB, and this is often not enough on amiga port. That's why
the GENERIC kernel won't boot with CV64/3D[2], Prometheus[3] or Mediator 4000.
These boards are large enough to cause infamous "Unable to allocate space in
parent map" error during early boot.

[1] - /src/sys/arch/m68k/include/pte_motorola.h
[2] - http://mail-index.netbsd.org/port-amiga/2010/12/23/msg007485.html
[3] - http://mail-index.netbsd.org/port-amiga/2011/07/25/msg007582.html

Michael Hitch once suggested a way to fix this, but his patch didn't work for
me and I (yet) had no time or motivation to dive into this issue.

--
Best regards,
Radoslaw Kujawa