Re: cross compiling on Amiga

Hi,

On Jun 13, 2012, at 11:14 AM, David Brownlee wrote:

On 13 June 2012 16:09, John Klos <john%ziaspace.com@localhost> wrote:
Out of memory. How much physical and virtual memory do you have?

IIRC the amiga and some other m68k ports also have a quite limited
virtual address space (to allow running SunOS/68k binaries?). The memory
requirements for compiling gcc 4 are just too big.

Even macppc machines can't build their own toolchain without u(n) limiting.

Maybe it's time to remove SunOS support or make the optional case where it's
disabled so as not to limit the virtual address space...

Do you know by how much does the VM increase without SunOS support? If
its significant then I definitely think we should be defaulting to no
COMPAT_SUNOS...

I have COMPAT_SUNOS committed out:

#options        COMPAT_SUNOS    # Support to run Sun (m68k) executables

It may also make sense to review the default data and other limits on
the system. I know i386 & amd64 keep increasing the defaults, and
while their values may not make sense on an m68k I suspect todays
m68ks defaults should be higher than those from 1992 :)

I would agree. I upped some limits in the kernels I use:

maxusers        64
options         MAXFILES=8192
options         NMBCLUSTERS=16384
options         DFLDSIZ="(96*1024*1024)"
options         SYSVMSG         # System V-like message queues
options         SYSVSEM         # System V-like semaphores
options         SYSVSHM         # System V-like memory sharing
options         SHMMAXPGS=8192
options         MSGMNB=16384
options         MSGSSZ=64
options         MSGTQL=512