Re: Keyboard lockup with NetBSD5

On Fri, Nov 13, 2009 at 07:06:50PM +0100, Frank Wille wrote:
> Ignatios Souvatzis wrote:
>
> > Michael, what was the reason to switch back to a counter-based delay
> > from the Gordon Ross style cpu-internal one I introduced in 1996 to
> > make Draco Rev. 4 work?
>
> Does that mean it makes no sense for me to fix the current implementation,
> because it won't work with Draco Rev.4?

DraCo Rev 4. has no guaranteed CIA, - for the clock interupt, it has a
freerunning counter instead - so the easiest and cleanest solution was
to copy the Sun3 method for DELAY, which was a calibrated counter at a
cache-aligned position, (initialized to the value for the fastest CPU of
each type, and calibrated by the clock device at early initialization.)
This way, it was independent of additional hardware.

I did not look closely at the timecounter implementation - I've always
meant to, but didn't find the time - but I never suspected it would
replace the DELAY routine. There might be definite reasons why the
loop method is bad for timecounters, but in that case, somebody should
document them.

seal your e-mail: http://www.gnupg.org/