Subject: Re: NetBSD 4 sets optimized for specific m68k processors
To: Frank Wille <frank@phoenix.owl.de>
From: Ignatios Souvatzis <is@netbsd.org>
List: port-amiga
Date: 12/23/2007 21:37:07
On Sun, Dec 23, 2007 at 01:00:02PM +0100, Frank Wille wrote:
> John Klos wrote:
>
> > I've gotten into the habit of compiling NetBSD with processor specific
> > optimizations for some added speed. I regularly use m68060 compiled sets
> > on two Amigas and m68040 compiled sets on two m68k Macs, so I'd consider
> > them pretty well tested.
> > [...]
> > Feedback would be most welcome.
>
> Very nice! I have installed them on my A3000/060, and vmstat -i only reports
> a 060intemu rate of 16 instread of 320 now!
>
> I'm currently trying to build gnome-base on my Amiga, so the extra speed
> will come handy.
>
> I should compile a 060-optimized kernel too, to get the emulation rate to
> zero.

You think those are from kernel code? Hm, quite possible - some filesystem
code was the first that forced me to add the 060 trap handlers to the mostly
68040 kernel back then :-)

And - if you build a kernel with options M68060, it will be optimized
for 68060 - don't mess with the compiler options yourself unless
you have read the Makefiles etc. and really know what you're doing.
See the mailing list archives, think assembler code, etc.

	-is