Subject: Re: NetBSD 4.0 RC2 installation problems
To: None <port-amiga@netbsd.org>
From: Ignatios Souvatzis <is@netbsd.org>
List: port-amiga
Date: 10/08/2007 13:30:03
On Sun, Oct 07, 2007 at 04:10:39PM +0200, Howard Phillips Lovecraft wrote:

> I`ve D/Led the latest ISO, and tried to install on my A4000D. I got the exact same problem as when I tried to install the 3.1 version (7/11/07).
> When it comes to the KB selection i got the screen flooded with the message:
>
> sd0(cbiiisc0:0:0:0):  Check Condition on CDB: 0x2a 00 00 4d 00 hex 00 00 hex
> 00 {where hex, various numbers on each repeated line, e.g. d8/30/10/78}
>      SENSE KEY: Aborted Command
>       ASC/ASCQ: AS 0x47 ASCQ 0xa1
>
> I think it has to do with an old (2.x or 3.0) installation of NetBSD lying on mobo`s IDE drive,
> while trying to make a clean installation to a SCSI disk (CybPPC.device) dedicated partitions.
>
> Has anyone else encountered such a problem?

After some SCSI specification reading, as far as I can tell:

This error should not exist. That said:

0x47/0x00 is "SCSI Parity Error". A kernel with options SCSI_VERBOSE
would have decoded that for you, but of course, we need to keep
install kernels small, so it wasn't.

Now, if your cabling is broken enough to create a bit error in one direction,
it might be broken enough to create a bit error transmitting the error code
back.

My advice is:  Check your cabling. Re-check, then check the
terminators. "Worked last year" or even "worked last week" doesn't
count.