Subject: Re: NetBSD 4 strangeness
To: None <port-amiga@NetBSD.org>
From: Michael L. Hitch <mhitch@gemini.msu.montana.edu>
List: port-amiga
Date: 09/06/2006 11:12:48
On Tue, 5 Sep 2006, John Klos wrote:

> I've crossbuilt NetBSD 4 for Amiga with -m68060 specifically using gcc 4,
> which has produced a working system for me. I will test whether the m68060
> trapped instructions was the issue that made current run unusably slowly
> later.

  The m68060 trapped instructions shouldn't make your system run as slowly
as I seem to remember you mentioning before, unless something is running
that is using an extremely high usage of those instructions.  If that were
the case, then vmstat -i should show an extremely high rate of
'interrupts' for the m68060 traps.

> Everything looks good, except there's some sort of issue with anything
> which sleeps. sleep on the command line sleeps forever; top, systat,
> netstat, and friends all hang after printing the first page or lines.

  This seems rather odd, and I'm not quite sure what might cause it.  I
am currently running a gcc4 compiled -current system on an m68040 system
and have not seen that.  I've got a 4.0 kernel (built with gcc3 at the
moment) and a -current kernel (built with gcc4) ready to test on my A4000
which has an m68060.  I guess I will also need to rebuild the 4.0 release
using gcc4 to try as well, if the -current kernel works.

Michael