Re: Amiga hardware issues

Hi,

I just wanted to let you know that I have 2 - 250 gig hard drives in my
2000 and I would like to put in ones that are larger. There is no problem
with large hard drives in Amiga's running NetBSD. So, a 30 gig hard is not
a big deal.

With SCSI, you can use drives which are up to 2 terabytes in size, so this is no problem. However...

1. Will my 30 gb IDE drive (or larger) will be fully supported ? In
Linux I partitioned it successfully, but in AmigaOS I've got weird
sizes of my HDD. I 'm confused, because install guide talks about
partitioning in AmigaOS, so I can't access whole 30 gb in Amiga OS =(.

IDE on the Amiga doesn't support LBA-48, so it will only directly support drives up to 128 gigs. If you get a nice 160 gig hard drive (which is around 149 gigs of 2^30 bytes), you'll get to use a full 128 gigs (of 2^30 bytes). A 120 gig drive typically gives you 110 real gigs.

3. Is there any performance boost on NetBSD in comparison to m68k
Linux ? I have a 68030 board with 32 mb fast ram. Will it be enough to
run complicated python scripts or something like BitTorrent on NetBSD

Since they both use gcc, I bet the performance differences are not huge. So what you're used to now with regards to speed should be close to what you'll get with NetBSD.

4. Is AGA PAL or NTSC modes are available ? In linux I use SSH to
manage system, but on install process I used just TV (monitor is not
available)

If you remove the -A option with the bootblocks,
then the system will default to 15 kHz modes.

John
--
As long as people believe in absurdities they will continue to commit
atrocities.  -Voltaire