Subject: Re: Amiga hardware issues
To: None <port-amiga@NetBSD.org>
From: Bernd Ernesti <netbsd@lists.veego.de>
List: port-amiga
Date: 02/17/2006 18:25:46
On Fri, Feb 17, 2006 at 06:15:04PM +0300, nzabrod wrote:
> Hello !
> I have couple of questions about NetBSD for Amiga usage.
> Currently, I'm using Debian Linux, and my A1200 is used for nightly BittTorent and other (Gnutella, FastTrack) downloads.
> So, questions:

> 1. Will my 30 gb IDE drive (or larger) will be fully supported ? In Linux I partitioned it successfully, but in AmigaOS I've got weird sizes of my HDD. I 'm confused, because install guide talks about partitioning in AmigaOS, so I can't access whole 30 gb in Amiga OS =(.

Yes. I had the same problem when I configured a 18GB scsi drive in my A4000,
but it just works, despide the wrong output of hdtoolbox.
Just make sure that your root partition is in the first GB on the disk.

> 2. Will cheap NE2000 clone PCMCIA ethernet be supported ? I had a lot of troubles with it firstly, but later after much help it worked flawlessly.

Hmm, maybe. IMHO ne2000 clones are the only one which would work, but it can
still depend on this specific card.

> 3. Is there any performance boost on NetBSD in comparison to m68k Linux ? I have a 68030 board with 32 mb fast ram. Will it be enough to run complicated python scripts or something like BitTorrent on NetBSD ?

I don't know if 32MB is enough for this kind of operations, because I never tried
it on my amiga.

> 4. Is AGA PAL or NTSC modes are available ? In linux I use SSH to manage system, but on install process I used just TV (monitor is not available)

Yes.

Bernd