Subject: Re: ASDG EB920 with no MAC Address PROM
To: None <lancetag@luminet.net>
From: John Schuncke <jlschuncke@cox.net>
List: port-amiga
Date: 12/19/2004 00:27:50
Lance Tagliapietra wrote:

>John,
>
>I was under the impression that NetBSD supported the ASDG ethernet
>card. I have a couple of these cards, and the one with the PROM
>did work correctly with NetBSD.

"support": yes, it basically works, if you can resolve interrupt issues
and find a way to provide a MAC address. I'm personally hopeful.

>The PROM is a 32x8-bit 74S288.  I found these listed in the Jameco
>catalog.

True, at about $7 apiece. I'm thinking about buying one, I haven't a
compatible programmer, and they aren't cheap. (Cheapest I can find is >
$300 US.)

>I have not pulled the programmed prom I have to determine how the
>ethernet address is encoded to program a prom for my other card,
>so I am also interested if you get this problem solved.

I'd be darn curious myself. Looking at the relevant chunk of
/usr/src/sys/arch/amiga/dev/if_ed.c, it seems that the device driver
reads 6 consecutive bytes from the bottom of the PROM. (If I'm
understanding the address offset #define statements correctly.) I'm
halfway tempted to whack up an emulator board and play with addressing
and formatting. I'd certainly be cheaper than buying a programmer and a
fistful of PROMS for trial-and-error. (An emulator would make
trial-and-error cheaper, anyways.)

>Note that this card was not completely supported during the install.  It
>seems that its interrupt may be left on an unhandled.  I had to install
>with the card plugged in, but not connected to my LAN, or the install
>would lock up.  It took me a few weeks of trial and error before I
>determined what the problem was.

I've read reports of unhandled interrupts trashing the system during
install. More importantly, though, I believe you have to jumper the
board for interrupt 2. The (often hardwired) default is int 6, which
apparently can interfere with disk and serial handling. Also, I think
the kernel is hardcoded for interrupt 2. I had to rework the circuit
board of my EB920, replacing the hardwire jumper for int 6 with a real
jumper pin block and a jumper (selected to int 2). I didn't have any
problems with the NIC during my setup. YMMV.

--

John L. Schuncke, Jr.   <jlschuncke@cox.net>
Bithead, nethopper, computer archaeologist