Subject: ASDG EB920 with no MAC Address PROM
To: None <port-amiga@netbsd.org>
From: John Schuncke <jlschuncke@cox.net>
List: port-amiga
Date: 12/18/2004 03:21:03
Amiga 3000D (68030/25), 24M RAM (16 M motherboard, 8 M Zorro-II), 2 2gb
Scsi drives, ASDG EB920 ("LANRover") NIC.

NetBSD 2.0/amiga, freshly loaded. Quite nice, except my NIC has no MAC
address PROM, and therefore the "amiga/ed" driver is using the
"reported" Ethernet address of FF:FF:FF:FF:FF:FF (which is what the
board reports when there's no address ROM to query).

Of course, that's the Ethernet broadcast address. Much hilarity ensues
with the rest of the LAN. Strangely enough, the Amiga itself is
untroubled, but since it thinks the Ether broadcast address is its own
physical address, it wouldn't be having any trouble at all.

Under AmigaOS, the eb920.device device driver and the s2util setup
program can apparently force a MAC address onto an EB920 card,
overcoming the lack of a hardwired MAC address. I don't imagine this is
a solution when I'm directly booting into NetBSD.

Solaris' version of the ifconfig command can force a MAC onto a network
interface, but that isn't supported in NetBSD. I guess there's little
call for it.

Short of coming up with an address PROM for the card, is there any way I
can config an address into the card during system startup or interface
establishment?

--
John L. Schuncke, Jr.   <jlschuncke@cox.net>
Bithead, nethopper, computer archaeologist