Re: building userland without a new kernel

hi,

On Mon, Sep 27, 2004 at 08:24:02PM -0400, admin%datazap.net@localhost wondered:

- about updating 1.5.3 with the 1.5 branch without a new kernel:

This should work, with the possible exception of ipfilter, which
sometimes was upgraded for security reasons, requiring a synchronized
kernel upgrade. However, I don't know whether this happened on the 1.5
branche after 1.5.3.

> Hi,
>
> I have been having problems with building binaries with on Agnus (my
> Amiga 2000 with a blizzard 2060). Alot of the binaries have ld.so errors
> when I try to run them.
>
> So, I compiled the same source on a dell, and it will fails to build the
> same packages. Since, the problem seemed similar. I decided to update the
> source, and this is what I did:
>
> setenv CVS_RSH ssh
> setenv CVSROOT anoncvs%anoncvs.NetBSD.org@localhost:/cvsroot
> cd /usr/src
> cvs update -d -P -r netbsd-1-5
> make build

That is, building in-place? *shiver* our new build system actively
discourages this, and even in the old you have been much less problems
building into a different destination, then move (or upgrade from an
installation kernel + miniroot) things into place.

> I have always been told to update the kernel first after an update, but
> since I was updating a 1.5.3 system with 1.5.3 code, I didn't do this.
> Infact, I was not even going to build a new kernel, because this was kind
> of a quick fix (just to get things working), and I had plans to update to
> 2.0 once I get time to do it.
>
> I was able to run "make build" 3 times in a row without a problem, but
> then when I put it under a really heavy load things went wrong.

Maybe you have swap problems, or SCSI problems, or broken memory?

> This box is colocated, so I couldn't read what it said on the screen. They
> said it had alot of "0's", and if they hit the return key it would
> respond. So, I am thinking that it must have been in the debugger
> (although, I am not sure).

You should get the kernel dump then by typing "sync" and "reboot" the
dbg> prompt.

If you have enough /var space, it will be saved, and you'll be able to
see the panic message in the dmesg output, even if your operators didn't
note it fast enough.

> Also, is there anyway to know for sure if I was to update to the lastest
> 1.5 on my Amiga would it fix the problem of building broken binaries.

Shouldn't. I still thing something else must be wrong...

> I would really like to be working on my second Amiga web server (Denise),
> and installing 2.0. I would then backup everything on Agnus to a working
> server, and have the new hard drives installed. I can't how every just try
> to install 2.0, because I am afriad of having booting problem, because
> right now I use gobsd to boot the server. Does, anyone know if I will be
> able to boot a 2.0 kernel with gobsd?

Modern loadbsd can boot a 2.0 kernel.  Also, there is a "runbootblock" tool
in the 2.0 distribution that can be used to run a bootblock, so you don't
need to have your kernel readable from AmigaOS, even if you can't use native
bootblock booting.