Subject: Re: 2.0 self building
To: None <port-amiga@NetBSD.org>
From: Gunther Nikl <gni@gecko.de>
List: port-amiga
Date: 07/26/2004 10:30:24
On Sat, Jul 24, 2004 at 01:39:51PM -0400, John Klos wrote:
> >>Bad gcc! But the real question is how much more efficient is gcc's
> >>output than before?

 IMHO, that depends on the application. Some benefit (more), others don't.

> >Well, try it. You could e.g. benchmark the "bzip2" binary in NetBSD 1.6
> >and NetBSD 2.0.
>
> Not a bad idea...

 FWIW, I recompiled bzip2 with GCC 3.3 on AmigaOS (about a year ago when
 it was ported) and for me it was _20_ per cent faster on decompression.
 I think I compiled with -O2 -fomit-frame-pointer. Using GCC 3.3 to compile
 zlib (1.1.4 or 1.2.1) was also beneficial. I am using 68060/50. I have no
 idea if this was only my system or a general improvement.

 Gunther

--
Linux is only free if your time has no value
 - Jamie Zawinski