Subject: Re: startx and non-us keymap
To: None <port-amiga@netbsd.org>
From: Thorsten Frueauf <milano@zhadum.de>
List: port-amiga
Date: 07/07/2002 17:13:42
Hello Klaus et al,

> is anyone using startx (with Xwrapper) and a non-us keymap (in my case,
> 'de') in ~/.xserverrc or /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xinit/xserverrc?

Yes, I noticed that it failed for over two year I guess, but never bothered
to find out why cause I mainly use my amiga remote these days. Gunther Nikl
mentioned the problem at 01.02.2001 on this list too.

> According to the source code (xc/programs/Xserver/xkb/ddxLoad.c), if the
> X server runs with a real uid of 0 it uses /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xkb/compiled/
> else /var/tmp.
> Shouldn't this be a check for the effective uid instead, which is set
> to 0 by Xwrapper?

Yes, this is IMHO a bug which should be fixed.

> I have found no mention of /var/tmp in the accompanying documents for
> the X sets and wonder whether I am missing something.

/var/tmp is defnitly not the right place, so you are missing nothing :)

Greets
      Thorsten