Subject: other character sets than latin1 for console
To: None <port-amiga@netbsd.org>
From: Klaus Heinz <klaus.heinz@onlinehome.de>
List: port-amiga
Date: 03/20/2002 14:59:42
Hi,

how should we support character sets other than iso8859-1 on the console ?

Today, there is a font (amiga/dev/kf_8x8.c) inside the kernel which
supports this set. I don't know wscons well, but I think it supports
loadable fonts.
In NetBSD-current wscons support exists for the custom chips (in
amidisplaycc.c) but I guess, most people have graphic cards and thus
will use ite until wscons is available for the various cards, too.

I would propose new kernel options CONS_FONT* (e.g. CONS_FONT_ISO8859_2)
and include the necessary fonts in amiga/dev/kf_8x8.c and kf_8x11.c
with the appropriate '#ifdef  #endif'. The option CONS_FONT_ISO8859_1
would be the default in GENERIC. Or should this be the '#else' clause
if no CONS_FONT_* option is defined ?

Or we could have separate kf_8x8_* for every console font and config(8)
selects the necessary file depending on the supplied option. Can config(8)
syntax support this (maybe with 'defflag opt_cons_font.h')?

ciao
     Klaus