Subject: Re: Warning: Amiga will switch to new toolchain and ELF very soon
To: None <port-amiga@netbsd.org>
From: Ignatios Souvatzis <is@netbsd.org>
List: port-amiga
Date: 02/23/2002 22:16:45
--DKU6Jbt7q3WqK7+M

On Fri, Feb 15, 2002 at 09:50:15PM +0100, Ignatios Souvatzis wrote:

> I'm about to switch the NetBSD-current sources such that Amiga will use
> the new toolchain and consequently, ELF.

This has been done in source a few days ago.

Also, there is a cross-built snapshot on
ftp.netbsd.org:/pub/NetBSD/arch/amiga/snapshots (without X11, which can't
be cross-built).

> When this is done:
>=20
> - for building you'll want to use build.sh - see the /usr/src directory,
>   especially the BUILDING document, and the current-users and toolchain
>   mailing list archives for details
>=20
>   In short, when building from source after the switch: use a toolchain
>   directory. Use an obj directory. use a destination directory on seperate
>   from your normal programs.
>   build a "release" and install it onto a new disk, then copy over your
>   password etc. and your user data.
>=20
>   The "upgrade" part of the installation does NOT yet deal with the=20
>   problems outlined below (and can't fully)
>=20
> - the switching to ELF means that all of your previous programs won't wor=
k,
>   unless your running kernel contains both the options EXEC_AOUT and
>   COMPAT_AOUT_M68K, and the needed shared libraries are in /emul/aout/usr=
/lib
>=20
>   The GENERIC, INSTALL, DRACO and AMIGA kernels provided currently do thi=
s.
>=20
> Traps to avoid:
>=20
> 1. you should NOT link new programs against a.out libraries
> 2. you should probably rebuild all of your pkg stuff from scratch to make=
 sure

An upgrade procedure suitable for people with no spare disk will be
written and published soon.

--DKU6Jbt7q3WqK7+M

--DKU6Jbt7q3WqK7+M--