RE: Problems while booting NetBSD 1.5.1

> This looks very much like the behaviour I had long time ago with 1.3, in
> a very similar hardware environment.
>
> Back then, it was caused by a "too much RAM available" problem.

All modern kernels (at least 1.4 and newer) work with as much memory as
any common Amiga can have. CyberStorm based A4000 can have 144 megs, and
Blizzard equipped A1200 can have up to 256 megs.

I have both: three A4000s with 144 megs and an A1200 with 256 megs. I
don't think it's an issue of too much memory anymore.

I will say this, though: the maximum datasize available for tasks on the
A1200 is still 128 megs; when I tried to compile a kernel with different
settings in /usr/src/sys/arch/amiga/include/vmparam.h, I got a kernel that
paniced when booting.

Also, the default number of vm.nkmempages is set for a system that has 12
megs; if you try to allocate too many pages at once or free too many at
once, your kernel will panic. I guess I should submit a PR about this...

John Klos