Re: HDToolbox identifier

Quoting Markus Illenseer (16-Jun-01 19:48:48):

>> I think it's better to just format it under netbsd, and you will
>> get the right type at once, as you should treat it like a removeble
>> media (like a floppy or zip).

> You forget, that NetBSD/Amiga is not able to recognize (and thus
> use) a
> free partition unless marked as "NetBSD".

Agreed.

>> > When I format the drive, should I use ...
>> >     1. newfs /dev/sd2a
>> >     2. newfs /dev/rsd2a

>  This one.

If I'm right, this asks for the identifier 0x4e425207.
Why not setting 0x4e425507 and using rsd2d?

BTW, I noticed that I can format rsd2c as well (in this case, the
identifier doesn't matter). What's then the difference between
formatting the partition (a or d) or the entire disk (c)?

Be advised that mounting sd2c (it doesn't matter if it was formatted
as rsd2a/d or rsd2c) shows more free disk space available (about 610
KB on a 1 GB JAZ disk). Why's that ?!?!

TIA

--
Cu  Georges Heinesch, Luxembourg
    geohei%geohei.lu@localhost

... there are no bad crews, just bad leaders ...