Subject: Re: A2232 and handshaking
To: John Klos <john@sixgirls.org>
From: Ignatios Souvatzis <is@netbsd.org>
List: port-amiga
Date: 03/31/2001 21:31:41
On Fri, Mar 30, 2001 at 07:34:07PM -0500, John Klos wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have a Commodore A2232 which I have modified to use the new system of
> handshaking based upon the 2232 docs on Aminet. Since the NetBSD docs and
> the msc source both mention that both normal and clock doubled modes are
> supported, I assumed that the clock doubling support came from the same
> people that gave us the 2232 upgrades on Aminet.
>
> Is there a chance that the 6502 code that gets uploaded to the card
> doesn't test for the handshaking mod, and therefore my handshaking won't
> work?

Hm. The 6502 code from the Aminet archive is definitely different from
the one in NetBSD. Note that the NetBSD code is older; according to the
comments in the Aminet archive, their software was based on Jukkas work.
It looks to me like the handshaking modification is seperate; however, I'm
not sure if both are _seperately_ detectable. [1]

Anyway, so I guess you can leave the clock-doubling part in. Fortunately
you won't really need really high speeds for serial consoles... 19200
is faster than most people can read.

Regards,
	Ignatios

[1] Guesswork on how to support the handshake modification: the trick would
be to just _measure_ the clock speed like they do; I guess Jukkas code
does the same, and use the "connected pin" trick they mention to detect
the handshake change. Hopefully that would work. Problem is that their license
terms are not acceptable for the BSD kernel, so we'd have to negotiate with
them to use their microcode, or write one from scratch for NetBSD, using the
textual description and the wiring diagram.