Subject: Re: Poor Ariadne Performance on 10/100 Hub
To: None <port-amiga@netbsd.org>
From: Bernd Sieker <bsieker@freenet.de>
List: port-amiga
Date: 03/31/2001 00:49:23
On 30.03.01, 23:31:57, Ignatios Souvatzis wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 30, 2001 at 11:17:46PM +0200, Bernd Sieker wrote:
> > So I checked the media options for the Ariadne device (le), and
> > there's no way to change the duplex mode. Checking back with mails
> > from the port-amiga mailing list, several posters said the the Ariadne
> > (1) could not do full-duplex at all. So either it's (undocumentedly)
> > _always_ doing full-duplex, or it must be something else.
>
> Uhm... two thoughts:
>
> a) as the Ariadne isn't full-duplex, your hub might be confused and try to
> do full-duplex. can you fix it at hdx?

According to the documentation the hub cannot do full-duplex, and has
no user-settings (DIP-Switches or otherwise) anyway.

Its full-duplex-incapability was confirmed when I set other compuers'
interfaces to full-duplex and was rewarded with lousy performance.

> b) When the Ariadne is in auto mode, it switches (with our driver) away from
> its port to the other one, if it things it sees no carrier (afaic deduce
> from 3 seconds worth of browsing the source.) You should try
>
> ifconfig le$N media 10baset

I had already done that, it's also in /etc/ifconfig.le0.

> (if not already done) to force it to TP.

Thanks for the tips, I'll keep looking what else I can find.

--
Bernd Sieker

NetBSD: Compatible with the Real World.
		-- Greywolf