Subject: Re: Umlaute in tcsh
To: ali \(Anders Lindgren\) <dat94ali@ludat.lth.se>
From: Ignatios Souvatzis <is@netbsd.org>
List: port-amiga
Date: 03/07/2001 07:34:32
On Tue, Mar 06, 2001 at 08:37:13PM +0100, ali (Anders Lindgren) wrote:

> Aaa-haaa, so THAT'S how you get that bastard shell to figure
> out 8bit characters (despite bragging in the manpage about how
> 8bit-clean it is, no-one I know of has managed to get едц
> working in it).

Official more-than-USascii-support needs *some* way to know what characters
are space and what not; there are more characters sets than the Western
European...

1.6 will have something capable of Japanese, Korean, and Chinese in addition,
if I follow the mailing lists correctly.

> I got sick of it and simply switched to bash
> which has a sane sh-compatible programming-grammar instead. :)

Yes, but much additional stuff. Don't ever write your scripts in it, they
won't be portable.

> characters I want aren't mapped anywhere by default installs). It can be a
> bit tedious if there are lots of characters you want to change, but the
> alternative (running xmodmap -pke to get a dump of the currently used
> keymap and modifying it by hand) is much worse.

Uh, why? ;-) But then, I'm reading disassembler listings on my bus ride
to work.