Re: Umlaute in tcsh

On 5 Mar 2001, Georges Heinesch wrote:

> When I install ctype.tar.gz and set $LC_CTYPE to
> iso_8859_1, it works fine.

Aaa-haaa, so THAT'S how you get that bastard shell to figure
out 8bit characters (despite bragging in the manpage about how
8bit-clean it is, no-one I know of has managed to get åäö
working in it). I got sick of it and simply switched to bash
which has a sane sh-compatible programming-grammar instead. :)

> "ö", "ä", "ü" and "ß" works fine, but the french "é" and "è" only
> works with the console. How come?

Most likely, your X11 keymap doesn't grok those keysym-mappings.
The best thing is to simply:

  cd /usr/pkgsrc/x11/xkeycaps && make && make install clean

It's a graphical tool which lets you edit your keycode<->keysym mappings
and write them to a file which xmodmap understands (so you need to put an
xmodmap command in your .xinitrc or equivalent). It has got one keyboard
for Amiga defined, called "non-A1000"; it appears to match my A3000/A4000
keyboard.

I find myself always doing this whenever I install X (because half of the
characters I want aren't mapped anywhere by default installs). It can be a
bit tedious if there are lots of characters you want to change, but the
alternative (running xmodmap -pke to get a dump of the currently used
keymap and modifying it by hand) is much worse.

Good luck.

--
/ali: Computer Science Major and aspiring cartoonist. :-)
(dept) dat94ali%ludat.lth.se@localhost - http://www.ludat.lth.se/~dat94ali