Re: Stopping the PPC

On Mon, Mar 05, 2001 at 11:03:43PM +0100, Georges Heinesch wrote:
> Quoting Ignatios Souvatzis (05-Mar-01 22:36:55):
>
> > Oh... if at all, we should make a RAD unit with the miniroot (and
> > bootblock etc) in it. Now THIS is an evil idea but  ... I'm
> > shivering with anticip-ation.
>
> > Are RADs really bootable?
>
> Confirmed! I did it quite often some time ago.

Uh, Enforcer on the A3000 with Superkickstart causes the kickstart
image to be reloaded from disk at every reboot. Meaning a RAD
wouldn't be useful in that particular situation.

Now, perhaps this is a non-issue if the RAD isn't required to boot
NetBSD on a non-ppc Amiga. It would need a big note in the documentation
if installation was incompatible with Enforcer.

Lots of people ran/run Enforcer all the time.

(Incidentally, the RAD was used with the 2090 MFM/SCSI board because the
2090 board couldn't support a boot device. A RAD was used to bring the
system up enough (on warm boot) to switch over to the SYS: drive
off of the 2090. We're talking AmigaOS 1.2 days -- ~1987-88 or so.)

Seen on bottom of IBM part number 1887724:
DO NOT EXPOSE MOUSE PAD TO DIRECT SUNLIGHT FOR EXTENDED PERIODS OF TIME.