Subject: Re: Stopping the PPC
To: <>
From: Ignatios Souvatzis <is@netbsd.org>
List: port-amiga
Date: 03/05/2001 20:40:53
On Mon, Mar 05, 2001 at 04:06:01PM +0100, Georges Heinesch wrote:
> loadbsd [-abhkpstADSVZ] [-c machine] [-m mem] [-n flags] [-I sync-inhibit] kernel
>
> "-ASn2" actually shouldn't work because "-n" is split from "-AS". I
> would do it "-AS -n2". Why does "-ASn2" work?

man 3 getopt

> I tried to applied the same (to me, non-understandable rule) with
> "-I". There -ASn2I0xffffff" doesn't work. I have to use "-AS -n2
> -I0xffffff".

-ASn2 -I0xffffff should work, IMHO.

> That's already quite interesting, but the best part comes now:
> "-aSI0xffffffn2" doesn't work with loadbsd
> "-aSI0xffffffn2" works while compiled into the bootblock ?!?!

Hm, the bootblock doesn't have a full getopt(3) copy, I think, so it can only
use a limited part of its features.

> Can someone explain this logic?
>
> Another issue - I have 128 MB CSPPC FastRAM and 16 MB ZIP onboard
> A3000 FastRAM.
> - I guess the option to use is "-n2"?
> - What does "-n1" do?
> - Has the "-n" option any impact on ChipRAM?
>
> Ignatios ... I found a directory called "ppcboot". What's that about?

for NetBSD/amigappc. Don't get excited yet.

> > then make depend && make && make install in
> > /sys/arch/amiga/stand/bootblock/
>
> > then use the installboot script to install it (while in single user
> > mode).
>
> "sh ./installboot /usr/mdec/xxboot /dev/rsd1a" worked!

oh? At security level > 0, the writing to raw disk devices whose buffered
part is mounted (actually, opened) should be blocked. Whats your security
level?

> Why is single user operation necessary?

In single user mode, the security level is (normally) 0.

Regards,
	Ignatios