Re: Moving to ELF...

On Sun, Feb 25, 2001 at 10:29:05AM +0100, Bernd Ernesti wrote:

> There is no reason why we shouldn't try to move a port to ELF.
> In fact it would be easier for the release, when all m68k ports switch to ELF.
> Ok, not all m68k ports will switch in time for 1.6 to ELF, but we should try
> to switch as many as possible.

Well, maybe, but I'm hunting bugs (e.g., FPE) right now, which I think is
more important than switching to ELF.

If anybody wants to help:

* The m68k ELF has different structure alignment properties than m68k a.out,
which is identical to m68k AmigaOS in this respect.

Somebody should check all stuff passed between AmigaOS (loadbsd or bootblock)
and kernel to see whether strange structures are involved. More about this
issue can be found in the port-m68k archive at mail-index.netbsd.org.

* We'll need elf2aout or... err, scratch that, I did that last year for
the benefit of the amigappc project.

* somebody has to check whether a kernel compiled with the new toolchain
actually (compiles and) runs correctly.