Subject: Re: Moving to ELF...
To: None <port-amiga@netbsd.org>
From: Bernd Ernesti <netbsd@arresum.inka.de>
List: port-amiga
Date: 02/25/2001 10:29:05
On Fri Feb 23 18:32:36 2001, Ignatios Souvatzis wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 22, 2001 at 05:35:40PM -0500, John Klos wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > It seems that now that MVME and sun3 are ELF, most of the NetBSD ports
> > will become ELF based? Is this going to happen on Amiga as well?
> >
> > Has any of the work on this begun? What can I do to help?
> >
> > Would it be reasonable to expect this to happen as part of 1.6?
>
> Given that we were supposed to be in a sort-of-feature-freeze-and-bug-hunt
> period since a few weeks ago, I didn't even bother to start investigating.

Please work on it before we cut 1.6.
There is no reason why we shouldn't try to move a port to ELF.
In fact it would be easier for the release, when all m68k ports switch to ELF.
Ok, not all m68k ports will switch in time for 1.6 to ELF, but we should try
to switch as many as possible.

I can offer my help to test ELF snapshots on an old installation (1.3I), which
would otherwise stay with that version till we switch to ELF.

Bernd