Subject: Re: Bootblock / kernel options
To: John Klos <john@sixgirls.org>
From: Ignatios Souvatzis <is@beverly.kleinbus.org>
List: port-amiga
Date: 02/09/2001 22:55:29
On Fri, Feb 09, 2001 at 03:45:56PM -0500, John Klos wrote:
> > Currently, you have to recompile and reinstall the bootblock:
>
> I will try this on my Amiga 4000 which has an A2091, but for my colocated
> server, I doubt I'll get to physically see it and bring it into single
> user anytime soon.
>
> Can this be done remotely, or is there a way to get the kernel to only use
> one block?
>
> > Well, or use a binary editor of your choice to set the n2 in the bootblock
> > to n0 ;-)
>
> Hmmm. What editor might I use? And how do I specify block 0 off of
> /dev/rsd0?

Ooops... two problems:

a) it would  have to be /dev/rsd0a, and tbe bootblock is 8k (16
disk blocks) big.

b) you would need to fix the bootblock's checksum, too.

So you better build a new one.

2nd problem, thats what the "boot to single user" is about:

if at security level > 0, you can't write to a partition (even the
raw partition) thats already mounted.

Sorry, no better answer.