Re: NetBSD-1.5 : t-DSL

> Just thought to notify you that not all xDSL systems requers you to use PPPoE,
> for many of the companies has a xDSL modem which handles this. If the t-DSL
> uses a such modem, then you just give your ethernet card the IP-address as if
> it was a normal network.
>
> If I don't remeber it wrong, there was somekind setup program for PPPoE at
> www.linux.org which is supposed to make it easier to setup for PPPoE
> connection.
>
> But what ever you do, check that if you have to use PPPoE, for that can save
> you alot of work.

 Your thoughts are very correct for most S-DSL and H-DSL systems, as well
as for _true_ A-DSL. But the original posting was asking for T-DSL. This
is "Deutsche Telekom A-DSL". To be able to actually acocunt bits and bytes
(traffic) over the leased line (which xDSL is), the Deutsche Telekom uses
PPPoE to access to some sort of radius server to then account the traffic
and of course to provide bandwidth. So, T-DSL is, just like S-DSL, a
permanent line which is blocked by TCP/IP routing on the lower level and
provides bandwidth using a tunnel as transport layer and accounting as
well.

Markus Illenseer