Re: Deluxe Paint like paintprogram?

On 31.01.01, 21:30:28, J.O. Aho wrote:
> On Wed, 31 Jan 2001, Henrik Berglund  SdU wrote:
>
> > > I'm looking for a good paintprogram which is more usble than xpaint and
> > > such,
> > > more like Deluxe Paint or Personal Paint.
> > > Anyone who knows about such?
> > gimp?
>
> No, it's far from DP and PP, it's more like "art affect" IMHO.
> I miss the palette, where I can change the  color in a easy way in the whole
> picture and the easy way to edit thinks pixel for pixel. They are easy to use,
> which you can't say about gimp (IMHO).

That's because gimp is mainly a true color program, where every pixel
does not have an index which points to the actual color (which can
then be changed globally), but contains the actual color itself.

You can still use gimp as an indexed-pixel paint program, a bit like
DPaint etc.

Here's what to do:

- Make a new image as RGB (true color mode)
- open the Indexed Palette dialog (it's empty now)
- choose Image/Mode/Indexed. Check "Use Custom Palette" and select a
  palette that suits your needs.
- uncheck "remove unused colors from final palette and start the image
  conversion.

Now you have a palette with colors, that you access directly, and when
you change a color in it (use the right mouse button over that color),
it changes everywhere in the image.

For single-pixel-manipulation use the pencil tool (not paint brush and
not airbrush or ink) and select the single-pixel brush from the
Brushes dialog, and enlarge to 8x or something like that.

> Just DP/PP are the two things I miss most of all from the pure Amiga side, and
> hate to reboot and stuff like that. But the world ain't perfect, if it had
> been
> then I had use of that PPC card :) I guess it will take a good while before we
> will see a stable unix version which uses PPC on the miggy, APUS I guess is
> the
> one closest to that, but it still have alot to improve (of 10 tries with the

So, is NetBSD/amigappc not yet in a usable state? I know it's not in
the main tree yet, but there are experimental snapshots, I believe.

--
Bernd Sieker

NetBSD: the server is up
                -- David Brownlee