Re: X11 and keyboard extension

On Wed, Jan 31, 2001 at 03:52:04AM -0800, Ignatios Souvatzis wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 22, 2001 at 05:22:57PM +0100, Gunther Nikl wrote:
>
> > I have problems getting the keyboard extension to work.
>
> Hm, I guess you did read all the text about keyboard extension in the
> INSTALL.X11 document?

  I did. I read it multiple times to be sure that I haven't missed
  anything.
  After some investigations I got it to work but not as described in
  the install document! INSTALL.X11 says the Xserver loads the keyboard
  description from "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xkb/compiled/". However, ktrace
  revealed that Xamiga looks for de.xkm in "/var/tmp". I copied the
  file into this location and now it works. There is another mysterious
  thing: the Xserver always creates an "usa1" map as /var/tmp/amiga.xkm"
  on startup if I enable the keyboard extension.
  BTW, there are atleast two distinct copies of xkbcomp under /usr/X11R6:
  on in bin and the other in lib/X11/xkb. This wastes about 220kb hd
  space ;)

> If yes, and it didn't help, please show the exact message. I had this problem
> in the distant past, and maybe the exact message will trigger my memory.

  The message is roughly: "cannot open de, reverting to default". Thats all.

  INSTALL.X11 has some flaws (no pun intended).
  First, in /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xkb/compiled/ there is also a french map.
  Therefore the claim only usa1 and de are supported is probably wrong.
  Next, the example to create a missing map places the compiled map already
  in /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xkb/compiled/. However, the mv command tries to
  move the map from /tmp. I guess its a typo but if things don't work such
  typos increase the confusion :-)

  Gunther