Re: LAME on 68040 versus 68060 (problem)

> > Before going off on a goose chase, is there someone out there with a 68040
> > Amiga that would be willing to do a few tests with me?
>
> I have installed and testet lame 3.7 on my Amiga (68040/040) and it
> works very slow, but perfectly fine.
>
> What exactly seems to be the problem on your Mac?

On my 68060s, the histograms are fine; they reflect a spread of
frequencies that seem reasonable. On both of the 68040s (one is running
NetBSD 1.4.2, and the other 1.5 beta), the histograms show the lowest
bitrate (silent parts) and the highest bitrate (everything else); this is
with the exact same aiff file and the same settings.

I thought it might have something to do with optimisations, so I removed
all optimisations; it just got slower. I tried installing from pkgsrc
(3.70 instead of 3.87 beta), but got the same problem.

Should we try to diagnose the rest in private, and then post the results?
It may turn out to be NetBSD-mac68k related; it's too soon to tell.

Thanks,
John Klos