Subject: Re: Installation on partitions beyond 4GB limit
To: None <port-amiga@netbsd.org>
From: Gunther Nikl <gni@gecko.de>
List: port-amiga
Date: 10/20/2000 11:45:49
On Thu, Oct 19, 2000 at 07:58:02AM +0200, Ignatios Souvatzis wrote:
> Let me check (or see yourself; the xstreamtodev and friends sources are
> somewhere on ftp.netbsd.org /pub/NetBSD/arch/amiga/misc)

  I don't think that the sources for xstreamtodev are there, at least I
  wasn't able to find them. Furthermore, xstreamtodev is only present in
  the release util(ities) directory of a distribution.

> Loadbsd uses the AmigaDOS calls to read the kernel off the Amiga filesystem
> and should be safe.

  Since Loadbsd doesn't use the device directly I guess thats a safe bet :-)

> The bootblock will have problems even on OS3.5, as the bootblock calling
> interface didn't change (and anyway, I don't know a single person with OS3.5
> in ROM.)

  I think it depends on the device used to access the harddisk. If the
  device can cope with disk > 4GB in a way, the bootblocks could probably
  utilize the device support to boot from a partition above 4GB. The C=
  scsi.device modules in _ROM_ cannot, but some Phase5 devices could.

  Gunther