Re: Netscape for M68K?

On Mon, 16 Oct 2000, Arto Huusko wrote:

> Uh-oh. Mozilla on NetBSD/m68k. I think mozilla is a bit too heavy for the
> good old MC680x0, because my 133MHz Pentium has a hard time running
> Mozilla. Might be just a swap issue (constantly at ~16Mb) cured by a
> well sized DIMM, but I believe it takes a lot of processing power; more
> than m68k has to offer?

Heh, I tried: NetBSD-1.4.1 port-amiga (A4000/040-25, 16M RAM).
It took several minutes to start the goddamn thing, and when it
finally appeared on screen, to the sound of disk-thrashing, one
would click a menu, wait anything between 5 and 10 secs, before
a grey rectangle would appear into which text items were slowly
rendered one by one. I don't think I ever had the patience of
trying to load a web-page into it.

Interesting. So much bloat and still IBrowse at 600kB is a
better overall browser. Always makes me wonder what those
extra 5MB or so are for. (Sort of like when I recently discovered
that GNU Fileutils 4.0 "ls" is 305kB large on Solaris, while
the amiga port of the exact same version is 71kB. :-) )

--
/ali: Computer Science Major and aspiring cartoonist. :-)
(dept) dat94ali%ludat.lth.se@localhost - http://www.ludat.lth.se/~dat94ali