Re: ping: sendto: host is down (fwd)

On Tue, Oct 10, 2000 at 03:55:15AM +0200, ali (Anders Lindgren) wrote:
> I have an 1.4.2/i386 box (486dx2/66) at home. After the upgrade
> to 1.4.2, I seem unable to get networking to work. I can't even
> ping my gateway. Ifconfig:ing the interfaces and pinging the
> interfaces' own IPs works fine. Everything seems to work, but
> the network's just gone.
>
> Tonight I succesfully[0] installed NetBSD-1.5_ALPHA2 on my Amiga
> to get my BSD fix while using that one too. It was previously
> running a quite well working port-amiga/1.4.1-GENERIC kernel.
> After the install and configuration, I get the same phenomenon
> on the amiga! I ran tcpdump and got lots of broadcast traffic,
> but ping/traceroute/<insert tool here> won't work. It won't
> send! IP-numbers were used while pinging and tracerouting, so
> it shouldn't be due to the (not yet configured) DNS stuff.

I won't even _start_ to think about your problem without seeing

- your dynamic configuration information (that is, output of
        dmesg; ifconfig -a; netstat -rn
- your static configuration information (/etc/rc.conf, /etc/ifconfig.*,
  /etc/hostname.* etc.)

without this, I could only guess, and guessing won't help you.