Subject: Re: problems after install - PART II
To: Albert Zick <Amiga_User@excite.com>
From: Ignatios Souvatzis <is@beverly.kleinbus.org>
List: port-amiga
Date: 10/06/2000 20:56:36
On Fri, Oct 06, 2000 at 10:16:51AM -0700, Albert Zick wrote:
> 1) I installed NetBSD version 1.4.1 (I did this because
> 1.4.1 was current when I down loaded it. It was on my
> hard drive I intalled) I don't think that I can use the
> NetBSD packaging system, because I don't see the packages
> I want to install listed for 1.4.1. I really hate to
> replace it with 1.4.2, because of all the time I have
> put into istalling 1.4.1. Should I replace 1.4.1 with
> a newer version? Or would I be able to install everything
> from source?

- packages compiled for 1.4.2 should work with 1.4.1

- however, for security reasons, you should probably do an "upgrade" to 1.4.2
  or even 1.4.3 once it is there. At least, when you're connected to the
  Internet for extended periods of time.

  an "upgrade" install won't throw away your old /etc directory; so you can
  keep it.

> lynx

Try "links" instead ;-)

> I look at installing them through the packaging system,
> some of these packages require a number of other packages.
> Will they be required if I install from source, and where
> would I get the source for them?

yes.

The package system will now how to fetch dependent sources.

> 2) I think that I made the root partition to large. I
> think I made the root partition to large ( about 140 megs),
> and I made the swap 300 plus megs. Will this create problem
> sometime down the road to have these partition this large?

Not really. Especially if you have /var on /root, you want it to be that
large.