Re: Can't boot AmigaOS

I know that my ram problem is caused by a bad connection between the ZIPs
and the sockets, but I've found that the cause is loose sockets. I've not
found any good solution as of yet. (I've just been unable to use the thing)
I've thought about glueing, soldering and buying new hardware to bypass
the problem but I have little money and am not convinced that gluing will
work. (soldering just too dangerous.)

Thanks
Ben

On Sat, 8 Apr 2000, Ignatios Souvatzis wrote:

> On Sat, Apr 08, 2000 at 02:24:19PM -0400, Ben Bogart - FMPM/F1999 wrote:
> > I've run into a situation where i cannot boot AmigaOS.
> > How can I:
> >
> > 1. Boot netbsd into single user mode without loadbsd, or AmigaOS
>
> Install and use a boot block on the NetBSD root partition. Of course, this
> assumes you HAVE a way to boot netbsd first.
>
> Given access to another Amiga, you could connect your disk there, and use
> it to install the bootblock.
>
> > 2. Change the bootblock so that netbsd will always boot only
> > recongnizing the first 4MB of fastram on the motherboard.
> > (As I am having problems with my upper 12MB)
>
> As far as I can tell, NetBSD does not work with less than 6 MB
> of non-CHIP RAM. If it did, you would use this command line for the
> bootblock:
>
> netbsd -n0 -m4096
>
> To make this permanent, you have to change the string in
> /sys/arch/amiga/stand/bootblock/boot/main.c, line about 83 (for the 1.4.2
> version) and recompile the bootblock (cd /sys/arch/amiga/stand/bootblock/;
> make ; make install), then use /usr/mdec/installboot to install the bootblock
> into place (see its manual page).
>
> This requires the "syssrc" and an installed compiler, of course.
>
> > 3. How can I change the bootblock so that netbsd boots with all 16 when I
> > find the problem to my RAM troubles?
>
> see above.
>
> I suggest that you make sure the RAM chips are firmly seated in their sockets,
> assuming you have an A3000... this was a major troublemaker for me, some
> years ago.
>
> Regards,
>       -is

Ben Bogart
NetBSD 1.4.1, CUSTOM Kernel, Amiga 3000, 16MB Ram, 2.1GB HD, EGS Spectrum Card.

"CPU clock speed is nothing--system architecture is everything."
 - John Blommers, Hewlett-Packard